Thursday, May 21, 2015

Blog #5: Goodbye, Guangzhou‏

Saturday, May 16th 

Our last day in good ol' hot and humid Guangzhou. It poured all day. I'm going to miss Jocelyn(our tour guide)'s random moments of Chinese sass. 

I had looked in the elevator's reflective wall and saw how much of a frizzy disaster my hair was. "My hair looks awful," I groaned.

Noah responded with "my hair always looks fabulous " and did a dramatic hair flip with his short cut. 

Ignoring him, I noticed how Jocelyn 's hair was just fine and asked, "Jocelyn, how do you keep your hair looking so nice?"

Noah(again) put in, "she's used to it."

And Jocelyn, usually quiet and reserved said, "yes, I'm used to always being fabulous" to the wall of the elevator. 

The fish market was not as bad as we thought it would be. The fish were fresh,  still alive 99% of the time. People were throwing alligators into crates. People either stared, smiled, or scowled. Everyone was either resting and either om their phones or smoking. Lots of smokers here. 

Erin and I wandered for quite a while on our own. We ran into one of the security guards with a megaphone. He decided it necessary to make conversation with us through the megaphone. 
Guard: Hello, hello! How are you?
Erin and me: Hello! Good!
Guard: Where are you from?
Me: United States 
Guard: Ah, beautiful country! Bye-bye!

Later, he told us we could walk around, but no photos. Obviously, we didn't really listen...

The vegetable/fruit market was very long--or should I say giant. I hardly registered anything other than fruit and vegetables were sold there, sometimes by bulk, sometimes piece by piece. Trucks were everywhere! It was dark in some of the buildings; the ground was dirty. But the fruit looked delish. I threw away the socks I had wore. 

The plane ride from Guangzhou to Xi'an was rough, but I didn't throw up. A bonus. The male flight attendant wasn't bad looking either. That helped. 

We didn't get to the hotel until midnight. I was exhausted. When I went down to the front desk (from the 25th floor) to ask for an extra Adaptor, I quickly discovered they hardly knew English. That was interesting. I had to spell it out on paper and they put it in a translator. Thankfully, we managed to get it figured out. We were both patient and understanding and they were trying hard to understand and be helpful. 

The hotel room was great and finding a Jet Li movie made it all well.

Later! 

No comments:

Post a Comment