Sunday, May 17, 2015

Blog #4: What Lies in Guangzhou‏

Friday, May 15th

The students of SDSU returned to U.S. territory for almost an hour when we crossed the threshold into the U.S. Embassy in Guangzhou. Everyone was very welcoming as we were led into the secured building to have a briefing with the Agriculture Trade Office. 

The ATO we visited covered 5 provinces of southern China with only 9 people employed in the office. Their goal is to promote US agriculture in China. Established in 1985, Guangzhou's ATO was the first in China. 

Top 8 US Imports to China(because I missed the last two) 
1. Soybeans 
2. Sorghun 
3. Wheat and Meslib 
4. Hydes and Skins 
5. Nuts 
6. Corn DOGS 
7. Wood
8. Corn 

Also:
- Guangzhou is China's largest feed producer 
-Guangzhou receives $4.78 billion worth of US Ag products. Around 16% of total US Ag exports go to China. 
-USDA certified organic meat is not legitimate in China. 

I asked the gentleman in charge how long he thought it would be before China opened its boarders to US beef again. He said that was the million dollar question. It would be a long complicated process and really--he had no answer to my question. Sorry, cattle producers.

Guangzhou continues to have the craziest traffic. Chinese a) have to go to have a pair to drive in their cities b) are suicidal because they walk out into these strenuous streets. 

Guangzhou also has one of the most beautiful attractions in the world: the Pearl River cruise. The bridges we sailed underneath were alight with different colors: rainbow, purple, blue, green. The Canton Tower had a light show of its own across the surface. Many of the the buildings were lit up and had light displays as well. It was a relaxing experience that I can't explain with words. 

After the cruise, everyone but the faculty, another student, and myself went out to the bars. Or at least I thought everyone was just going to the bars, but apparently some hardcore bartering(Renae) hapoened. I can guess Renae would be at feisty barterer. 

While I waited up for my bartering roommate to return, I kept nodding off writing my vlog--something I never do. Which meant I was Hella tired. Kinda like how I feel very night I walk into a hotel room on this trip.

Later! 

No comments:

Post a Comment